On Wednesday I traveled up to Spokane to pick some strawberries with my sister. They were free which made it well worth the drive up there. My goal was to make some delicious strawberry jam with them. Strawberry jam is my ABSOLUTE favorite kind of jam...that is if it is homemade. If it's not homemade it is really hardly worth eating as far as I'm concerned. :) Yes, I admit it, I am a jam snob! There, now you know. So back to making jam. Yesterday I had a friend over and she helped me to make this yummy concoction. I've never made freezer jam without my mom before so I was nervous that it wouldn't set up.
The first step is to measure 2 cups mashed strawberries into a bowl. Then add 4 cups...yes 4 cups...of sugar! Yum! This is mixed together and allowed to sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Doesn't it look yummy?
The next step is to boil one package pectin (I used Sure-jell) with 3/4 Cup water for one minute, stirring constantly. (I tried to get these pictures next to eachother but can't figure out how...anyone know?)
Then the pectin is mixed into the strawberry mixture and stirred for 3 minutes or until all the sugar is dissolved. (No picture of that..whoops!) Then pour the jam into plastic containers.
6 comments:
That looks absolutely delicious! Good job!
Great job Molly! I am trying some using a recipe from Prevention magazine...only 1 1/2 cup sugar, but 4 cups fruit....we shall see...I mean the directions say NEVER cheat on the sugar!
It looks so yummy!!! Good job Molly.
well, i made jam w/ mom today an it did not turn out :-)...but it has tons less sugar so should still be yummy as a syrup:) are you going to make it for Mygumi's wedding? i know you guys were friends.
What a beautiful bright red color! Woot!
I absolutely LOVE strawberry freezer jam!!! It is so delicious!
Post a Comment