On our second day in Rome we walked a LOT! First we walked to the Trevi Fountain. No, this is not it...:) I believe this is the Fountain of Triton, made by Bernini in 1642. We didn't know what it was at the time, but thought it looked cool so we took a picture! Now that I know what it is, it's a bit more impressive! :)
We arrived at the Trevi Fountain after a very HOT walk. I think the temperature that day was around 104...
It was much bigger than I expected actually! Very impressive in all of the details too! This is a picture of Eric and I throwing a coin into the fountain. Supposedly if you throw a coin in over your shoulder, you will someday return to Rome. Hopefully it won't be quite so hot next time! :) The water felt amazing though! I just wish we could have jumped in!
A short walk through the skinny streets of Rome and we came upon the Pantheon! It was pretty impressive! It was originally built in 27 B.C. by Marcus Agrippa, but burned down later and was rebuilt by emperor Hadrian around 118 AD. It was dedicated to Marcus Agrippa though and his name is still on the front. It was the first "dome" of it's time and has a hole (27 feet across) in the ceiling of the dome. It was really cool to see the sunlight coming through it.
Here is a picture of the inside of the pantheon. It became a Christian monument at some point in history, and is to this day.
After lunch (at a great little place we read about in Rick Steve's book and got free strawberry wine!) We walked across town to cross over the Tiber River to the neighborhood of Trastevere. This is us on the bridge to the island in the middle of the river. The river was pretty murky looking, but still water all the same!
Once we crossed into Trastevere we walked around for a while and came across this church. We didn't know what it was at first, but found out that it was the Santa Maria which is thought to be one of the oldest churches in Rome, though no one is sure of the date. It was very elegant on the inside! The funny part was, when we first got there we were so hot we just walked into the covered portico and sat without going in for about 30 minutes because we didn't know what it was! After we went in though we were pleasantly surprised!
In the covered portico where we sat, the walls were covered with pieces taken from all over ancient rome. Some of the pieces were clearly christian (there were a lot of Chi-ro (sp) symbols and fish) However there were a lot of very non-christian symbols too. Pretty cool!
Once we finally went inside, we ended up wandering around for about an hour because it was so impressive! The whole ceiling was gold! We have tons of pictures of the inside, but I just picked this one for the sake of space. :) When i finish my photobook you can see more!:)
After a rest inside Santa Maria, we decided to walk up to the top of a large hill in trastevere (I can't remember the name of the lookout, but it's pretty well known). On our way up (and finally out of the crowds!) we came across this huge fountain! There were only like 4 other people there too! It was very refreshing to put our feet in! I haven't been able to figure our what fountain it is, but it was very cool!
This was the view from the fountain overlooking Rome. The big building there is the roman Capitol building. It's pretty huge too, but we didn't stop to see it. Just saw it on our bus ride home that evening. Pretty amazing view though!
I don't know what this building is, but it was right next to the fountain and was pretty, so we took a picture. :)
After this, we walked down the hill to the city again and found a place for dinner. Christina and I shared a tiramisu for dessert and it was SO GOOD! Definitely the best I've ever had! MMmmm!
End of day two!
5 comments:
Great pics Molly. It looks so nice there. I can't wait to visit it someday. And the kiss was so sweet. Probably didn't really need Christina to suggest it. :)
Rome? How awesome!!! I would love to go there someday. Looks like you're having a great time in the pics.
pk @ Room Remix
What is a tiramisu?
You have some awesome photos there! My favorites are the one of that unknown fountain with the sunrays streaming down the front, and the one with you holding up and Eric cupping the cathedral!
Love your fall background too...makes it hard to believe it was 104 degrees...hope you make it back someday feeling better!
I would love to see that detailed chapel ...my kind of thing :-) I took a year of (very boring) art history classes on all those types of churches and statues and building...bet I would not be able to remember any of it anymore though...impressed that you knew some details :)! I liked that pic. of you and eric "holding up" the cathedral!
Post a Comment